You know those touchy subjects that you just can’t research without people thinking you’re a murderer? Like how to kill someone with your bare hands, or how to disappear?
You no longer have to research such touchy subjects, because I’ve got all the sites you need gathered right here!
There’s all sorts of touchy subjects on this list, as well as a few not-so-touchy subjects that are still helpful and still might make people question you. Either way, this will definitely be a fun set of websites to explore.
Anyway, there’s really not much more to add beyond, happy writing from the dark side!
Note/disclaimer: Please do NOT use these sources to learn how to torture/harm/kill real living beings. If you do, I am not responsible for it. Character cruelty/death? I take full responsibility. Living creature cruelty/death? Absolutely not. I’m telling you now, don’t do it.
I will probably be adding to this list as well. There’s a lot that can still be added…
Websites for Those Touchy Topics
- The Phobia List: I’ll start off simple with a site I’m sure we’ve all stumbled upon at some point. This site is literally completely comprised of a list of every single phobia, as well as some links to other sites that have to do with phobias. It’s really a great list, though it’s pretty lengthy. But if you want to give your character a deathly fear, this is the best place to go for your research.
- The Limits of the Human Body: Alright, enough with the simple stuff. Time to dive in. If you’re planning on torturing your characters a bit or bringing them within inches of death, you’ll need this list. Blood loss, dehydration, body temperature, you name it! It’s all here in one organized chart.
- Limits Of The Human Body: For more detailed information and other limits not on the chart, this is a good site. It’s a very detailed discussion that even I haven’t gotten all the way through.
- 10 Methods of Death: I’m just going to link this right here, right after the limits of the human body, so you know how to cause these deaths… Yeah, I love this site. It’s one of my favorites. I love the idea of writing from the perspective of someone who’s actually dying. Any with this site, you can do just that accurately!!! Awesome. Pure awesome.
- How to Diappear Completely: This is the real deal. Seriously, just check it out! It’s a complete and detailed, step-by-step guide on how to disappear entirely and without a trace. It’s meant to help people who want to disappear and start a new life, and if I was planning on doing just that, this would be a very helpful place to start! And you know, actually, it is a helpful website for me because, hey, look at that! I’d love to make that character disappear completely…
- On Writing Mentally Ill & Insane Characters: I don’t know if any of you will want to use this source, but I definitely do. In fact, the main character of the main novel I’m working on right now is mentally ill, to an extent. I can’t give you any spoilers beyond that, sorry to say, but this is a very helpful source for such necessary research.
- This is a Towel: Mental Disorders: I actually like this website more than the one above. It has some points on what to know when writing a mental disorder, as well as links to other sites that help you write specific disorders, and a listing of sorts for different types of disorders.
- Emotional Wounds Thesaurus: I’m sorry to say this isn’t a complete list (you’ll have to get the book to have that), but it still helps in understanding the common traumatic experiences listed. Seriously, this list is awesome. And if you’re trying to create a character with a specific traumatic experience, this can really help you get them right. Note: A character should not have all of the traits listed on each page. Only some of them. Pick and choose carefully in order to build your character accurately.
- 25 Methods for Killing With Your Bare Hands: And these are the types of websites that make people think you’re a serial killer. Can you believe this website was blocked in my school? Seriously, people, just let me live my life! Oh, and this site is exactly what it sounds like. Warning: It’s a bit graphic at times.
- 16 Steps To Kill Someone And Not Get Caught: This site has good tips to follow when having characters kill other characters, as well as a few good-to-know facts. You know, for whenever you’re ready to do some killing.
- Havocscope: The perfectly legal way to learn illegal things. It uses newspapers and police reports to tell you how much all sorts of illegal stuff costs. And no one can tell you off for it, because it’s totally legal, thank goodness!!!
- Traumatic Injuries Writing Reference Sheet: Wow. Just… Wow. The effort put into this is just… Wow. If you’re writing an injury, please check this out. It. Helps.
- Other Important Survival Skills & Information: If you’re planning on putting your character through a high-stakes situation, you need to know what it would take for them to survive. This kind blogger has put togther a whole listing of links that will take you to pages of information about surviving any given situation. Yeah. It’s awesome.