Having trouble creating an awesome character?
Trust me, I know the feeling.
I’ve been struggling with creating unique and beloved characters for years. It’s hard to create a fictional person that real people will feel attached to, and even harder to create multiple fictional people of that same caliber. With this in mind, I’ve created a list of sites that may help you in planning every detail of who your character is.
This list is not made up of characterization traits, mind you. If you’re looking for those, check out my list of helpful links for describing characters. The difference between this list and that list: this list is for the planning process, that list is for the writing.
Websites for Creating Characters
- Character Flaws: Your characters can’t be flawless. Flawless is bad. Very bad. It’s unoriginal and boring. Your character needs flaws, and multiple of them at that. Here’s a nice list of flaws in alphabetical order, just in case you can’t think of enough. And no, “not pretty enough” is not a flaw. Your characters need real flaws that get them into messy situations. That’s how you make things interesting.
- High-Level Description of the Sixteen Personality Types: If you’ve ever heard of the sixteen personality types, you’ll know that this is a great source. If you’re having trouble getting to know your characters, take the test for them and see what they get. It might just help you decide why your characters act the way they do based on what personality type they get. It sort of helps you decide what role they’ll play in a group.
- Zodiac Signs Astrology: No, I don’t believe in all of the astrology hubaloo, but it is rather interesting… And it helps with creating characters. I wouldn’t rely on this list for creating characters, but it can help in minor ways. I’ve messed around with it before. If used in the right way, the astrological signs can be very helpful!
- Ophiuchus: Have you ever heard of the 13th zodiac sign? It’s a real thing. Turns out, the zodiac signs we know and love don’t match the sky anymore. If the zodiac signs were to be accurate, the dates would have to be moved around… And Ophiuchus would have to be added! And guess what? I’m an Ophiuchus! It’s unnerving how well this zodiac fits me…
- Hobbies Masterlist: What does your character do in his/her free time? Do you know? Need some ideas? Well, here you go! A masterlist of hobbies that has been compiled over the course of multiple years. Well, I think it’s taken that long. But either way, it’s a masterlist!
- A List of All Religions and Belief Systems: It’s impossible to create a perfectly complete list of religions and belief systems, but this list comes pretty darn close. If your religion or belief system isn’t on this list, don’t be offended. The site didn’s mean to offend you, and neither did I. It just didn’t happen to be on this list. And anyway, this list is only meant to assist you in creating your characters. So no being offended!
- List of Religions: This is another list of religions, but it only covers the major religions of the world. Note: Major is not synonymous with important. It just means the religions that have the most followers. It’s a narrower list, so you may prefer it.
- List of Christian Denominations and Their Beliefs: I know Christianity has a crazy number of denominations. According to this site, there were about 43,000 denominations in 2012. Therefore, there is no perfect list for this either. However, in case you need a specific denomination for your character development, I found a site that does a good job of summarizing them. Note: I’m not going to go into the denominations of any other religions because I don’t feel like I know enough about them to do that.
- 76 Incredibly Accurate Pet Peeves That Will Drive. You. Nuts.: If you really want to get to know your character, decide what pet peeves they have. Here are a few dozen to get you started!
- Job Description Search Tool: If you need any help thinking of a career for your character, this entire site helps, but this page in particular can help if you already have an idea or have already messed with the other features of the website. Basically, you can use a Holland code to discover the perfect career for your character, or you can research the basic job you want them to have and it will give you more detailed options!
- Comprehensive* List of LGBTQ+ Term Definitions: When creating your character, you need to know what their sexual orientation is. If you think figuring out the sexual orientation is easy, guess again. There are so many different terms for varying sexual orientations, and you need to know them all to make sure you don’t offend anyone.
- List of Impairments- Adult Listings (Part A): Your character doesn’t necessarily need to have a disability or impairment of any sort. In fact, you should be very wary in giving characters disabilities and impairments. They’re very serious and should be treated as such. Don’t give them out all willy-nilly. However, if you have a good reason to give a character an impairment/disability, here’s the best place to start in choosing the right one.
- Types of Addictions List: There are more addictions out there than just alcohol and drugs. If your character is going to be addicted to something, think carefully about what that addiction might be. Here’s a very extensive list of addictions that may help you in deciding. Note: Not every addiction possible is on this list. You may think of an addiction not present on this list. If so, congrats! There’s no reason for you not to use it.