Are you looking for some original writing prompts, but can’t seem to find them anywhere? Have you scoured the Internet for a prompt that actually inspires some thought, to no avail?
Well, do I have the list for you!
All of the prompts on this list, I’ve come up with myself! They’re all entirely original, created straight from my mind. Unless somebody decides to copy them (in which case they’d need to cite/link to this page), you won’t find them anywhere else!
I’ve done my best to make them crazy, entertaining, and fun, so I suggest having fun and being crazy when writing based on them. And whatever it turns into, just keep going. You never know, it could turn into an amazing original story! Or an amazing poem. Or and amazing flash fiction. Or an amazing… Something else. This list isn’t specified to any one form of writing. Write whatever you please!
So there a two main ways to do this:
- One is to read through these and choose one that you think you can write off of.
- The other is to pick a random number (or have a friend give you a random number) between 1 and 50, then write based on the prompt that corresponds with that number.
Both ways work fine, but I would suggest the second way. It’s the random option, and forcing yourself to write based on a random prompt can turn into a pretty entertaining piece. It may not be good, but you can always revise it later.
Remember: You don’t have to stick to the prompt. If you deviate from it, it’s totally okay. Just keep writing what wants to be written.
Also, though the majority of these prompts say you’re the one affected, you can write from any person (first, second, or third) and you can always write from a different perspective if you so choose.
Original Writing Prompts
- You are a zombie in a zombie apocalypse… And you’re also a vegetarian. Write a piece as this character/from this perspective.
- You just discovered that you can talk to fruit. Write a piece based on the conversation and events that come from this.
- A comb was randomly found at the scene of a crime, but no one knows how it got there! Tell the comb’s story.
- Perry the Platypus just showed up on the door and somehow communicated to you that he needs you for a mission. Write about the awesome adventure that follows.
- You know that phrase “pain is beauty?” Well, it might just be real after all. You’ve discovered a pair of heels that literally change the way you look so that whoever looks at you sees the perfect person (in regards to beauty). The real trouble is, the heels are eight inches tall and cut in at all the wrong places. Write a piece with this in mind.
- Your best friend just got turned into ice cream… In the middle of summer. Write… Well, you might want to start with how that even happened, but you can start wherever.
- Write from the perspective of the (or a piece of) candy in a candy shop. What are their thoughts as they wait to get chosen? Do they want to be eaten? What are their goals and aspirations?
- Flying pigs are trying to take over the world and you’ve discovered their plans, but no one will believe you. Tell your story in this instance.
- Weird creatures that look like apples are running around and eating people’s pants. Write about everyone’s reactions and the attempts to get rid of the apple creatures.
- A socially awkward unicorn appears out if nowhere and needs your help. Write about whatever commences.
- You’ve just discovered the Ultimate Burn Book that includes everyone in all of history, and it has the power to take over the world. However, there are some people who will do anything to get their hands on it. Write about what you do with the book and the results of your decision.
- Your teacher asks you for your homework, but you don’t have it! But you didn’t just lose it/forget it/throw it away. What happened to it?
- The jaguar doesn’t like your shirt, the giraffe ate your blanket, and the rabbits won’t go to sleep! Why did you ever agree to babysit these animals? Discuss this situation.
- A griffin shows up and starts eating everything in your house. What the heck, griffin. Write about your… adventure with this annoying griffin.
- A sphinx shows up, and it won’t stop telling riddles and eating anyone who answers wrong! Write about your… Adventure with this pesky sphinx.
- You’re a vampire, but you’re not a fan of blood. In fact, you’re a vegan. Write from this perspective/as this character.
- Somehow, you ended up in Antarctica, and the penguins and polar bears are starting a war over land. What did you do? How did you even get to Antarctica?
- Technology is taking over the world. The only way to stop it: Wear clothes from the eighties. Why that’s the only way is totally up to you.
- Everyone in the world starts dancing except you, and no one can stop. How will you save the world from endless dancing?
- You’re a dentist, and you’ve been asked to do a dental checkup on an elephant. Write about how that goes.
- A bunch of giant mutant gummy bears are eating all the chocolate! Write about your fight to stop them!
- “George Washington called. He wants his hair died.” You’re a hair stylist, and George Washington shows up at your shop wanting his hair died. Write about how that goes.
- You wake up, only to find yourself floating on your mattress in the middle of the Nile river. Not only that, but there are four hungry hungry hippos, and Cleopatra might be on that fancy boat coming towards you.
- Your best friend just found a voodoo doll of you. Write about the repercussions (my best friend suggested that they shove a pie in your face without actually touching the pie).
- You live in medieval Europe, and your King/Queen just declared war on the neighboring country because they prefer waffles over pancakes. Write from the perspective of the King/Queen’s main advisor.
- You’re part of a movie (your choice what movie), but you have no idea what’s going on. No one ever gave you a script! Everyone else knows what’s going on, but they won’t tell you. Write about what happens.
- You turn into the last thing you touched. Discuss how this occurence goes.
- You’ve discovered a pair of earmuffs that let you read minds. Tell the story of your adventures with these earmuffs.
- You’ve discovered an eraser that can erase objects from existence. Decide exactly how this eraser works and discuss your adventures with said eraser.
- Area 51 is real… And it’s run by bunnies. You are a photographer who wants to convince the world that they’re aliens. Tell your story.
- A random old man drags you into a parody of Wonderland (or Narnia, if you’d rather). Write about your experience.
- A moose is eating my shoes! How rude! We should get him some food. Could you?
- You’ve died, and you’re going back and forth between Heaven and Hell because no one wants you (sorry!). Describe your experience.
- Ants are carrying away your two year old sister to make her their Queen. What do you do?
- The Greek gods are drunk, and you have to keep them from destroying the world. Discuss your experience.
- Every time you Tweet something, it really happens! But they work like a genie‘s wishes in that your Tweets very rarely turn out the way you expect them to. Write about what you Tweet and the results/repercussions.
- You discuss hot dogs and hamburgers with an alien who entered our world through a painting.
- You discover clouds really are made of cotton candy, the moon is really made of cheese, and trees are really giant sticks of broccoli. What do you do with this information?
- Somehow, a store/shopping mall with all its merchandise still in it becomes your new home. Write about your experience.
- You wake up to find a mysterious package sitting on your kitchen table. You open it, and inside is… Van Gogh‘s cut-off ear, hung on a cord. And it just so happens that when you wear the ear, you can hear things that are normally silent. You can hear a rainbow, for example. Write about your experience with the ear.
- Every statue in the world comes to life. As in, they can talk and move whatever body parts they have. Write from the perspective of a museum curator.
- You work at a tattoo parlor. One day, the Queen of England shows up wanting a tattoo. How does everyone react? What tattoo does she get?
- There’s a skeleton in your closet. No, seriously. It’s playing dress-up with your clothes, and it’s asking you if you’ve got any doughnuts.
- The Easter Bunny shows up at your front door on Christmas Eve, pleading for your help because Santa‘s eaten too many cookies and can’t move, so he needs you to deliver the gifts. Write about… Whatever becomes of that.
- You’re going to be in the Olympics! Only problem? You have no clue how to play the sport you’re competing in, your teammates all speak another language, and you’re playing against monkeys. What could go wrong?
- Your favorite character just died, and as a result, the world will literally end (in some crazy way of your choice). Somehow, you have to convince the author/director to bring the character back to life before it’s too late.
- Your Grandma’s a drug lord, and she doesn’t even know it. How did you find out, and how will you break the news to her?
- The trees whisper to you… And they’ve got a ton of dirty gossip about the other plants, let me tell you! Write about what they tell you, or maybe even make it into a longer story!
- Turns out Mr. Snuggles, your favorite teddy bear, is actually a secret agent. Not only that, but you don’t know what side he’s on! You’ll have to find out!
- You’re a therapist, and Darth Vader is your newest patient. He needs some parenting advice, among other things. Write about your conversations and how you try to help him.